Coding causes of death to statistical categories
Key steps in improving mortality coding
The key actions needed to address some of the common problems encountered with mortality coding are:
- Develop a basic roadmap for improving coding practices
- Standardise training programs, certify trainers and coders and offer attractive career opportunities
- Increase in-service refresher training opportunities for coders
- Introduce automated mortality coding tools
- Conduct regular coding-quality assessments
- Centralise mortality coding
- Improve medical certification of COD.
These actions are discussed in more detail in the following sections.