One of the fastest ways to improve the performance of complex systems such as CRVS in low resource settings is through the use of smart tools. The revolutions in information and communication technologies including mobile technologies combined with computing technologies that allow more integrated data systems are providing a huge opportunity to accelerate progress in achieving high completeness, coverage, and timeliness of CRVS operations.
We have also included innovations in training approaches and frameworks that assist the partnerships and skills necessary for designing and implementing the CRVS systems re-engineering that many countries need. This section of the Learning Centre provides brief one page introductions and links to some recently developed and emerging CRVS tools. Included in this edition are a number of tools of special relevance to death registration.
ANACONDA: a tool for assessing the quality of medically certified death data and ICD-10 coding.
Automated verbal autopsy: a suite of tools for estimating the underlying cause of death where there is no physician certification possible.
CRVS system assessment tools:
- Rapid Assessment tool: first step in developing an understanding of the current structure and functioning of national CRVS systems.
- Comprehensive assessment: comprehensive assessment tool that provides guidance on the different aspects of CRVS systems.
- Legal framework and review: tools for updating and improving the legal and regulatory foundations of CRVS.
- Process mapping: a methodology for managing the complexity in CRVS systems and understanding and re-engineering CRVS processes.
- WHO online ICD-10 coding tool: online interactive, self-training tool to improve understanding and enhance the use of the ICD-10.
- Iris ICD coding tool: a tool for determining and ICD coding the underlying cause of death from multiple causes.
- Medical Certificate of Cause of Death Assessment tool: a tool for assessing physician performance in filling the medical certificate of cause of death (MCCOD).
Verbal autopsy tools:
- Automated verbal autopsy: a suite of tools for estimating the underlying cause of death where there is no physician certification possible
- Verbal autopsy costing tool: a tool for understanding the resources requirements and costs of adding verbal autopsy to CRVS systems.